The Federation has decided to slightly alter the format of the competition:-
- Each year there will be just one heat at a major Bonsai Exhibition. The winner will be invited, and it is hoped, attend the European final, to represent Britain at the European Bonsai Association Convention the following year. This is not obligatory but is one of the main purposes of the competition.
- Should the winner elect not to go to the European finals, FoBBS would try to promote him/her to the Bonsai fraternity within Britain.
- Should the person who wins a place in the European final, wish, then guidance and tuition in preparation for the final can be arranged in order that they have a better insight into the competitive conditions likely to be encountered.
- The winner’s prize will include one years’ membership of FoBBS and, if selected, the opportunity to represent the U.K. at the next European Final, for which the Federation will contribute to the costs of travel and accommodation.
- Applicants must provide their own tools, wire, turn-tables and associated materials. The Federation will provide the trees for the U.K. heat ; contestants will be given the opportunity to purchase them after the competition.
Conditions of entry
The competition is open to any bonsai society members or individual members, providing they are not employed in full time employment as a bonsai professional. They may not be previous winners of the original FOBBS New Talent Contest.
Candidates must be able to show photographs of their work or have a mentor, prepared to recommend them, who is known and accepted by the Federation.
The next British Final is being held at Capel Manor on Sunday, 25th October at the North London Bonsai Show.
The European Contest will be held at the EBA Convention being hosted at the Noelander’s Trophy, February 3rd -5th. 2017.
Peter Fielding, Amateur Talent coordinator for the Federation of British Bonsai Societies